Come on in and sit a spell.. have a look around, we sure hope you enjoy your stay!!

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Polymer clay hints, tricks and tips..



Hello and welcome to the third installment of 
Polymer clay hints, tricks and tips.


When I first started out claying, I had to teach myself everything I know. Along the way I have tried a few things and failed at many. So, I thought I would share with y’all what I have learned. 

*Hints*

Tissue blades:  There are several brands of Tissue blades you can purchase. Some have handles you can snap onto the ends to prevent you from cutting yourself. Most tissue blades come without handles. They have a blade side and a blunt side. 
Some have marked the blunt side to avoid accidentely using the wrong side.

There are roughly four different types of blades on the market one can use when cutting your Polymer clay. 
  1. The most sturdy or stiff blades is the best to use when you need to cut with great accuracy, such as with Polymer clay canes or straight lines. 
  2. A more flexible blade which is ultra-thin, best for use with cutting curves or Mokume-gane
  3. Small ripple blade for smaller wavy cuts.
  4. Large ripple blade for larger wavy cuts.

The best way I have found to store my blades when not in use, is a small plastic box. The type children keep their supplies in elementary school. 
This way when reaching into my tools, I don't cut myself with the blade.

Another few blades clayers use are 
X-Acto blade or what I use, which is the blade from a scraper. I have found that this blade is the right size to handle for me. It's shorter than the tissue blades and longer than the refill of the box cutter blades that I have seen many clayers use. 

A fantastic place to shop online for clay supplies is Dick Blick Art Materials.

That's all for this week, tune in next week when we cover.. clay cutters. 

Thank you ! 



No comments:

Post a Comment